Faculty portfolios

  • Node A: Philip Holden
  • Node B: Philip Holden
  • Node C: Philip Holden
  • Node D: Philip Holden
  • Node E: Philip Holden
  • Node F: Philip Holden

Philip Holden

Professor of Practice

Phone: 
314-935-6282
Fax: 
314-968-6365

Givens 105

Campus Box 1079
Biography 

MArch, Washington University; BArch/BED, University of Kansas

 

Philip Holden is a practicing architect and principal of Holden Architects, having established his office in 1982 after apprenticeships with Harry Weese and Stanley Tigerman in Chicago. Many of his projects are recipients of AIA awards, notably St. Alban Roe Parish Center, Mary Mother of the Church Activity Center, the renovation of St. Francis of Assisi Church, the office of Virtual Realty Enterprises, and the design of his own offices. His St. Gerard Majella project received the Masonry Institute's Triennial Excellence in Architecture Award and was featured in the Forum for Contemporary Art exhibit New Architecture in St. Louis.

Holden's work was published by Progressive Architecture in 1987, introducing him as one of the outstanding young architects in the United States. He received AIA Medals in both 1976 and 1979, along with the Ewart Traveling Fellowship in 1974. Beyond practice, he teaches architectural design at Washington University.