The Portfolio Plus Program invites high school students to take college-level art and design courses. Students spend their mornings learning the fundamentals of drawing and their afternoons studying an elective of their choice. With guidance from Sam Fox School faculty, students work throughout our intensive three-week program to develop strong portfolios for college admission. Studio work is rounded out by organized trips to museums, visits to artists' and designers' studios, and workshops.
This program is recommended for rising juniors and seniors in high school. Upon successful completion, you will earn 3 college credits and may receive letters of recommendation for college admission.
Each weekday morning, all Portfolio Plus Program students will take part in an introductory Drawing course. Working in a variety of media, you will learn to recognize and manipulate fundamental elements of composition, line, form, space, and modeling. Emphasis is placed on working from observation. You will work in a variety of media. Demonstrations and illustrated lectures supplement studio sessions and outside projects. As part of the course, you will visit the Prints and Drawing Room at the Saint Louis Art Museum.
During the afternoon session, you will take an elective class; current offerings include:
- Communication Design: Topics include Color as a Design Tool, Digital Collage, and A Close Look at Letters.
- Mixed Media Studio: Topics include Projects in Color, Found Object 3D, and Quick Prints
Course work is complemented by additional events and activities, including:
- Wednesday Night Speakers in the fields of art and design.
- Friday Afternoon Pizza Lt unches, featuring presentations on topics such as portfolio preparation.
- Saturday Curriculuar Field Trips to places such as The Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, the Contemporary ArMuseum St. Louis, City Museum, the Arch, the St. Louis Zoo, and local artists' and designers' studios.
- Sunday Workshops on topics such as writing about and photographing your work.
Tuition, Room, & Board
Estimated cost for the 2015 Portfolio Plus Program is $4,553. An additional $100-$200 should be budgeted to cover the cost of books, supplies, and equipment. You will be notified upon acceptance to the program, and a non-refundable deposit will be required to confirm your admission. If a student withdraws from the program after classes begin, no portion of tuition will be refunded.
You will live in one of our secure modern residence houses and participate in organized weekend activities with other members of pre-college programs. There are study rooms, kitchenettes, laundry facilities, floor lounges, and a computer lab available for use. Program Assistants (PAs) living in the halls provide advice and information, in addition to leading weekend activities and ensuring the rules and regulations of the program are maintained. A meal plan will allow you to enjoy a variety of food choices available across the campus.
We will begin accepting applications for the 2015 Architecture Discovery Program January 15, 2015. The application deadline is May 1 (April 1 for international applicants).
To apply to our Architecture Discovery Program, please submit the following materials:
1. Completed application form (available online January 15, 2015).
2. A 500-word essay expressing your interest in the program.
3. A letter of recommendation on official letterhead from an academic teacher, art teacher, principal, high school counselor, or artist/architect who knows you well.
4. Official high school transcript (most current).
5. (Optional) Copies of official PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores.
6. A check, made payable to Washington University in St. Louis, for a $35 non-refundable processing fee. You will be notified upon acceptance, and a deposit will be required to confirm your admission to the program.
Please mail application and all materials to:
Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts
Washington University in St. Louis
Campus Box 1031
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
For more information, please contact: