Facilities

The Sam Fox School is composed of six buildings, located on the eastern portion of the Danforth Campus.

Earl E. and Myrtle E. Walker Hall brings together the undergraduate sculpture and painting areas, and some studio spaces for architecture students. The sculpture area includes undergraduate studios, a wood shop, a metal shop, an installation room, and a faculty office—all on the ground level and first floor. The undergraduate painting studios are on the second floor.

William K. Bixby Hall, completed in 1926, has grown and changed to meet the needs of the students, faculty, and administration of the College & Graduate School of Art. The building currently houses teaching and studio spaces for first-year art and design students, the undergraduate fashion design and printmaking majors, and some architecture undergraduate students and faculty. An expansive new printmaking studio on the first floor integrates letterpress, etching, lithography, and illustrated books. On the ground floor, an administrative suite is home to student services and the finance office.

Joseph B. Givens Hall has been architecture's home since 1932. It features a variety of studio spaces, including large drafting rooms with 15-foot ceilings, large windows, and skylit ateliers. The building's compact and elegant Beaux-Arts design has at its heart a grand central stair often used for socializing and informal meetings. Givens Hall also houses a main lecture room, review spaces, classrooms, digital fabrication labs, and administrative offices for the director of architecture.

Mark C. Steinberg Hall, completed in 1960, was the first commission by Fumihiko Maki, then an architecture professor at Washington University. Formerly home to the Gallery of Art, the Department of Art History & Archaeology in Arts & Sciences, and the Art & Architecture Library, Steinberg Hall now houses Career Services and the undergraduate communication design and photography majors on the lower level; public spaces such as Etta's Café, Steinberg Hall Gallery, and Etta Eiseman Steinberg Auditorium on the main level; and architecture and communication design studios on the upper level.

Opening in fall 2019, Anabeth and John Weil Hall houses state-of-the-art graduate studios, classrooms, and digital fabrication spaces. Designed by KieranTimberlake, the new building features abundant natural light and flexible, loft-style studios and workspaces. It will be home to the School's graduate programs across all disciplines. The lower level features administrative offices for the dean and admissions staff.

The Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum, completed in 2006, is another commission by Maki; an expansion to the original building, led by KieranTimberlake, will be completed in fall 2019. Highlights of the renovation include a striking new 34-foot-tall polished stainless-steel facade; nearly a 50 percent increase in public display space; a soaring, glass-lined lobby; and the reinstalled Florence Steinberg Weil Sculpture Garden, designed by Michael Vergason Landscape Architects. The Museum also houses the Kenneth and Nancy Kranzberg Art & Architecture Library; and the Department of Art History & Archaeology.

Weil Hall and the Kemper Art Museum expansion are part of Washington University's East End transformation project; learn more here>>