The heart of the program, Design Studio drives creativity and discovery to foster passion and compassion in design. You’ll learn how sustainability and the built environment are shaping the practice of architecture. Over the course of the program, you’ll undertake a series of short design exercises that will introduce you to the design thinking process, culminating in an architectural project for review by faculty and guest critics.
Drawing studio engages you with the art of seeing, as you learn how to better observe the world around you and communicate what you see through drawing. Faculty will engage you in multiple opportunities to practice drawing on site. Through observation and sketching, you will understand elements such as proportion, light/shadow, material and texture, spatial relationships, orthographic projections, and perspective.
Cube Axon, 2019
Orthographic cube, 2019
Topographic axon, 2019
Cube models, 2019
Spatializing Pattern Logics, 2020
Study V: Seeing Through Drawing, 2020
Spatializing Pattern Logics, 2020
Students apply for the Architecture Discovery Program online through SlideRoom; please check back in fall 2021 for the summer 2022 application.
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Optional test scores
- Optional samples of your work
- Application fee of $35 (for early bird applicants) and $45 (for regular applicants)
If the application fee presents financial hardship, students may request a fee waiver by contacting Courtney Cushard at email@example.com.
All participating students must reside within one of the following time zones for the duration of the program: Eastern Time (GMT-4), Central Time (GMT-5), Mountain Time (GMT-6), or Pacific Time (GMT-7). We will not be able to host students on the WashU campus in summer 2021. Special eligibility criteria for international students for summer 2021 are outlined below.
The estimated cost of the 2021 Architecture Discovery Program is $2,980. Estimated tuition includes a complete supply packet mailed to each student. Upon acceptance to the program, a $250 nonrefundable deposit will be required by May 1, 2021, to reserve your space in the program. If you withdraw from the program after classes begin, no portion of tuition will be refunded.
Scholarship assistance is available up to the full cost of tuition. Scholarships will be awarded based on financial need and academic merit. The program deposit is waived for students requiring scholarship assistance. The scholarship application package must be received by March 15, 2021, in order to be considered.
Scholarship application process:
- Submit scholarship application and program application by March 15, 2021.
- If eligible, our team will be in contact to schedule a phone interview with the student.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified before May 1, 2021.
International students are welcome to participate in our 2021 Architecture Discovery Program, but only under specific circumstances because of the current U.S. consulate and visa policies, as well as the nature of our virtual program. Please read below to identify which category you fall into.
You CAN participate if you are…
1. An international student already attending high school in the United States. You can participate because your F-1 visa allows you to study in the summer at U.S. institutions. You must still be living in the United States during the program. You can travel home at the end of spring term and then return to the United States for the program in the summer.
2. An international student who lives within one of the four time zones of the contiguous United States (Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific). You can participate from home; no visa or I-20 is required. This includes the following countries: Canada, Mexico, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bahamas, Haiti, Cuba, Turks and Caicos, Jamaica, and all Central American countries.
You CAN’T participate if you are…
An international student living outside of the time zones of the contiguous United States and not currently studying in the United States. Unfortunately you are unable to participate in our summer 2021 Architecture Discovery Program because the current visa and I-20 requirements stipulate that at least one class must be taken in person (for new students), and we are not offering in-person classes for summer 2021.
If you have any questions about your specific circumstances, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.