BFA & BA in Studio Art and Design
Study art and design at one of the nation's top research universities.
Whether you want to publish illustrated books, create sculptural installations, design for public health initiatives, launch your own fashion line, produce aerial drone videos, make interactive websites—or dozens of other things!—we will help you forge the educational path to get there.
AREAS OF STUDY
Bachelor of Fine Arts Program
- More studio-intensive experience
- 65 credits of studio courses (about ½ of your total coursework)
- Majors: Studio Art, Communication Design, Fashion Design
- Capstone experience + annual thesis exhibition
**Students may also earn the BFA as part of a dual-degree program.
Bachelor of Arts Program
- Broader liberal arts focus
- 30-36 credits of studio courses (about ¼ of your total coursework)
- Majors in Studio Art or Design (Communication or Fashion concentration)
- No capstone requirement
- Major in Studio Art or Design
- Open to all WashU undergraduates
- Develops essential skills, like visual thinking + creativity
- Creative Practice for Social Change
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Studio Art
The amazing faculty taught me lessons I’ll always carry with me—consideration, fearlessness, failure, hard work—and helped me grow in ways I couldn’t have imagined.
Art + Design Life
Being a Sam Fox School student is a unique experience at WashU. Everyone’s always a bit more curious (okay maybe jealous) about what’s happening on our side of campus… It’s just weirder down here. And it’s better that way.