Awards are given every one to two years, with a maximum of two awards given for each round. Funds will be used by the recipient within a year of receipt of the award to advance his or her art practice. Funds may be used for supplies and equipment, travel, studio rent, production of work, exhibition expenses, documentation of work, and other expenses directly related to the recipient’s practice.
The award is exclusively for MFA and BFA alumni of the College of Art working in sculpture, painting, or expanded mixed media.
About the Award
The award was created by Nancy Stone DeGuire (1947-2013) and Lawrence R. DeGuire Jr. (1947-2006) via a bequest to the School. It was their desire to help fellow alumni artists advance their studio practice.
Stone & DeGuire met as undergraduate art students at Washington University; they were married in Graham Chapel in 1969 and earned their Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in 1970. The husband-and-wife duo began their artistic collaboration in 1972, working together as Stone & DeGuire to produce a single object. This partnership evolved from parallel, individual investigations of alternatives to the picture plane—a synthesized interest in spatial concerns, informally united with flexible materials. The force of their work coalesces around ties that bind rather than separate—an artistic collaborative whose shared studio practice was merely one facet of an inseparable personal union.