Skip to content

MFA in Visual Art FAQ

What kind of financial aid and scholarship support is available?

We offer competitive assistance, based on a combination of need and merit. Sam Fox School awards include several full-tuition scholarships, such as the Sam Fox Ambassadors Graduate Fellowship Program (which also includes an annual travel stipend) and the Sam Fox School Director’s Full Scholarship, along with the Ernestine Betsberg and Arthur Osver Scholarship, which covers 75% of tuition. Additional University-wide awards include the McDonnell International Scholars Academy and the Olin–Chancellor’s Fellowship. Learn about the full range of opportunities on our Graduate Scholarships and Financial Aid page.

What do I need to include in my portfolio (and, what are you really looking for?)

You’ll need to submit 20 examples of your work. These can include still images, video, and audio files. Select your strongest and best work. We are looking to see original and sophisticated pieces that you generated independently, rather than work created as part of an assignment.

Where are the studios located? Are they close to other parts of campus?

Graduate studios are located in Weil Hall on the picturesque East End of the Danforth Campus, adjacent to the McKelvey School of Engineering and the Brown School. With fountains, lounge chairs, hundreds of trees, and nearby cafés, students love relaxing in Tisch Park, located just outside Weil Hall. Check out all our places, spaces, and facilities.

I have a lot of interests outside the studio. Can I take other courses at the University?

You bet! You may take graduate-level courses for credit across the University—in subjects like writing, philosophy, music, art history, and the sciences.

Can I be a TA?

Teaching and/or technical assistantships are awarded to all second-year students in good academic standing. A select number of first-year students are awarded assistantships based on the strength and quality of their applications. Teaching assistants work with faculty in a range of courses. Technical assistants work along-side faculty and staff in areas such as the Des Lee Gallery, Island Press, and our experimental studio for time-based media. All positions are considered biweekly, hourly paid positions.

What is living in St. Louis like?

St. Louis is one of the most affordable places to live, and there are cool neighborhoods all around the University, like Tower Grove, the Central West End, and University City. And, all the city’s art museums are free. (For real!) See our St. Louis page for more on the gallery scene and our favorite things to do around the city and the region.

Can I apply for spring enrollment?

No; we currently only accept applications for fall enrollment to the MFA in Visual Art program.